Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) offers healthy eating classes to communities in Merced County. Our workshops include:
- What am I Drinking?: Rethink Your Drink
- What Am I Eating?: My Plate
- Making My Money Stretch: Eating on a Budget
- What’s for Dinner?: Planning Meals
- What’s In This: Reading Nutrition Labels
Call (209) 381-1266 if you would like to schedule a workshop for your community group. We teach parents, adults, teens, and we can provide staff training.
Se habla Español.
SNAP-Ed also offers:
Healthy zoning information for cities and counties, such as the City of Merced’s new zoning ordinance allowing community gardens.
School Wellness support: We can provide information on wellness policies, sit on the wellness committee, and assess and help implement wellness policies
Healthy Retail; posters and signs for stores to promote fruits and vegetables.
Information table on healthy eating and Rethink Your Drink at health fairs and food pantries
We meet throughout the year with other agencies interested in public health nutrition. Call (209) 281-1161 to find out when the next CNAP (Community Nutrition Action Partnership) meeting will be held.
SNAP-Ed stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education; in California, the SNAP program is called CalFresh.
How to get food
- To apply for CalFresh, formerly known as food stamps, call 1-877-847-3663 or visit C4Yourself
- Merced County Food Bank
- Women, Infants, and Childern (WIC)
Recipe and tips:
- For recipes, visit EatFresh.
- Tips to eat healthy, get moving, and rethink your drink click Champions for Change for recipes.
- Sharing food and agriculture resources in Merced county, visit CropMobster.
- HealthyMerced on Facebook
- Sugary Sweetened Beverage Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Children and Youth-Health Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Health Statistics Fact Sheet - Retail Grocery Stores and Food Access (PDF).
- 2017 County Profiles Fact Sheet (PDF), describing SNAP-Ed population in Merced.
- CX3 Fact Sheet Dos Palos
- CX3 Fact Sheet Downtown Merced
- CX3 Fact Sheet Livingston
- CX3 Fact Sheet Los Banos
- CX3 Fact Sheet South East Merced
- CX3 Fact Sheet South West Merced
- CX3 Fact Sheet Winton
Public Health Links for Professionals
- Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Branch, California Department of Public Health.
- Helpful Links for Public Health visit California Department of Public Health.
- Zoning and Policy for Health visit ChangeLab.
- School Wellness Policies visit Project Lean.
This material was produced by the California Department of Public Health with funding from USDA SNAP. These institutions are equal opportunity providers and employers. For important nutrition information, visit www.CaChampionsForChange.net.