Merced County California

Go To Site Search
Victims' Rights
Victim Rights in California
As a victim of crime, you have the right to:
  • Know the current status of your court case
  • Be assisted if called as a witness
  • Attend all sentencing proceedings
  • Speak in person; address the court in writing; or be represented by an attorney at the time of felony sentencing to express your views concerning the defendant, the crime, and its effects on you and your family.
  • Have the court order restitution from the convicted person. The court must make a specific finding that extraordinary reasons make restitution inappropriate if restitution is to be denied.
  • Receive, on request of the Board of Prison Terms, notice of any hearing to review or consider parole eligibility or parole-setting for prisoners in your case (you must keep the Board of Prison Terms informed of your current address if you wish to be notified).
  • Speak personally; submit a letter, tape recording or video tape; or send an attorney to the parole hearing to express your views about the crime and the person responsible.

Merced County 2222 M Street Merced, CA 9543 Ph. (209) 385-7434 Toll Free (800) 226-6452
striving for excellence