Environmental Impact Reports
A Summary of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)
(California Public Resources Code, Sections 21000 – 21178, and Title 14 CCR, Section 753, and Chapter 3, Sections 15000 – 15387)
The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) is California’s broadest environmental law. CEQA helps to guide the Department during issuance of permits and approval of projects. Courts have interpreted CEQA to afford the fullest protection of the environment within the reasonable scope of the statutes. CEQA applies to all discretionary projects proposed to be conducted or approved by a California public agency, including private projects requiring discretionary government approval.
The purpose of CEQA is to:
- Disclose to the public the significant environmental effects of a proposed discretionary project
- Prevent or minimize damage to the environment through development of project alternatives, mitigation measures, and mitigation monitoring.
- Disclose to the public the agency decision-making process utilized to approve discretionary projects through findings and statements of overriding consideration.
- Enhance public participation in the environmental review process through scoping meetings, public notice, public review, hearings, and the judicial process.
- Improve interagency coordination through early consultations, scoping meetings, notices of preparation, and State Clearinghouse review.
Common abbreviations used on this page:
- NOP - Notice of Preparation
- NOC - Notice of Completion
- NOE - Notice of Exemption
- NOD - Notice of Determination
- NOI - Notice of Intent
- 12-29-22 - Merced Irrigation District - NOE Merced ID Temporary Recharge Application
- 01-05-23 - San Joaquin Joint Powers Authority - NOP
- 01-10-23 - Grassland Water District - NOE
- 01-13-2023 - Yuba Water Headquarters - NOP
- 01-18-2023 - Pioneer Road Complete Streets - NOP
- 01-19-2023 - City of Merced - NOE - Site Plan Review 509
- 01-19-2023 - City of Merced - NOE - Site Plan Review 508
- 01-19-2023 - City of Merced - NOD - Zone Change 431 Vesting Tentative Subdivision Map
- 01-23-2023 - City of Atwater - NOE - Resolution NO. PC 0198-22
- 01-27-2023 - Community and Development Department - NOI - BA Acquisitions I-5
- 02-01-2023 -Lower San Joaquin Levee District - NOE
- 02-02-2023 - Merced County Community and Economic Development Use Permit West Clean Power
- 02-06-2023 - City of Merced - NOE - Site Plan 511 Merced Mall
- 02-06-2023 - City of Merced - NOE - Site Plan Review 512